Informant Sync is designed to sync all of the data objects that PI supports. It largely does this, with a few exceptions, and caveats. As a general rule, a single data object can only sync with one sync service at any given time. For example, if a Calendar and its Events sync with Google, then neither the Calendar, nor its Events, can sync with Informant Sync. Following is a list of all the types of data that PI supports, and to what extent it can be synced using Informant Sync:
- Calendars: Fully supported. This includes the Travel Assist Calendar, which always, automatically syncs to with Informant Sync.
- Contexts: Fully supported.
- Tags: Fully supported. A single Tag can actually sync with more than one sync service.
- Contacts: Supported. PI does not maintain its own contact database, it simply uses the device Contacts. It only syncs Contacts that have been configured as attachments on an Event or Task. It does not currently sync Contacts as standalone entities (although, that is a feature we may add in the future).
- Image Attachments: Supported. Since these must be synced to/from the server during a standard sync session (rather than independently in the background), large picture files can slow down the sync operation, or cause it to timeout completely. For this reason, it is currently not recommended that image files much larger than 2 MB are attached and synced via Informant Sync.
- Smart Filters: Supported. Smart Filters that have any rules which reference a Project that does not sync with Informant Sync, cannot themselves sync with Informant Sync either.
- View Filters: Not currently supported. These are filters that can be created and maintained by tapping the Filter button in the upper left corner of the Calendar or Task views.
- Settings (aka Preferences): Supported. This is configurable, it is not automatic. Not all PI Settings are synced. There is no authoritative document that lists which settings are synced, and which are not. Of note, the default Event Calendar, and the default Task sync account, are not synced.
For data object types that are listed as fully supported, it can be assumed that all subordinate data objects are also synced. For Tasks that would be things like: Locations, Alarms, Recurrence rules. For Events that would also include Attendees.